Euthalia aconthea gurda

Doug Yanega dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br
Wed Oct 14 15:43:06 EDT 1998

>I'll just be my usual anoying self and point out (in repetition) that
>whether or
>not the spines sting or cause ichiness or make the insect difficult to see by
>predators etc., this does not demonstrate a purpose for either defense or
>camouflage. By definition no one can know that the spines are for defensive
>or camouflage purpose since one would have to know the ultimate nature of
>the university (equivalent to being god or a god).
>
>John Grehan

Okay, to stem the possible set of responses, how about this:

"I, the undersigned, do hereby solemnly swear never again to use the word
"purpose" in an evolutionary/ecological context, but henceforth shall
substitute the word "function", which lacks the connotations that some
people find objectionable in said context."

Is that an acceptable compromise? I can live with it, how about you?

Peace,

Doug Yanega    Depto. de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas,
Univ. Fed. de Minas Gerais, Cx.P. 486, 30.161-970 Belo Horizonte, MG   BRAZIL
phone: 31-499-2579, fax: 31-499-2567  (from U.S., prefix 011-55)
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/