Antennae vs. antennas

Pierre A Plauzoles ae779 at lafn.org
Tue Oct 20 13:29:22 EDT 1998

In a previous article, philjs at mail.utexas.edu (Phil Schappert) says:

>On 18 Oct 1998 13:40:12 -0700, fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu (Kenelm Philip)
>wrote:
>>	With exquisite timing, Jeffrey Glassberg (head of NABA) has just
>>produced an editorial in the fall '98 issue of 'American Butterflies'
>>entitled 'To Communicate or To Intimidate: That is the Question'. He
>>suggests that the Latin-derived terminology of entomology exists, in
>>part, to "set up entry barriers to outsiders."
>
>Ken, et al.
>
>I, too, found this editorial to be "objectionable" (for lack of a
>better word) and agree whole-heartedly with your assessment. I wrote a
>response, "To Communicate or To Intimidate: Is this a Question?", in
>my editorial column of the News of the Lepidopterists' Society. For
>those non-members reading this (why are you still a non-member?) I'll
>put a copy of it up on the NEWS website, look under contents of Vol.
>40(4), at http://www.esb.utexas.edu/philjs/News/news.html
>
>Phil

You are asking Ken?  He can answer for himself, but I would appreciate
the opportunity to give you my own answer as well.  As things stand, you
have the answer in your paragraph quoted above.  I strongly object to
such an attitude.  It caters to those interests whose desires include the
reduction of the educational level of the public.  I, personally, would
**much** rather see people learn as much as they need to feel comfortable
using what scientific names they need to use.  Time spent on education is
never time wasted.  Not only that, but it also says that people are
stupid or too lazy to learn, something that I am not willing to accept as
true.  I started out as a teenager learning about entomological taxonomy,
and began learning about scientific nomenclature in college.

The whole "common v scientific names" debate - if you want to call it
that - arises, in my opinion, from the lack of emphasis on the sciences
in American educational institutions, especially in the earlier years.
When I was in school, I actually had to do some real work to get where I
wanted to be, and I did it.  Many years ago, I was dating a young lady from
the eastern part of the Mid-West, and she one day told me that she did not
want to go back to school (to take an Extension class) because she "was
through with school" - school, to her, was like a book: closed and never
to be reopened (???!).  I believe very strongly that learning is a
lifelong experience.  What is wrong with doing some work in order to
learn something and then using it later?  As far as I am concerned, you
roll with the punches, and if some given situation calls for learning
something new, ***you learn it!!***  **PERIOD!!**  Case closed.

Pierre Plauzoles   ae779 at lafn.org
Canoga Park, California