Wings

John Grehan jrg13 at psu.edu
Thu Sep 10 11:43:32 EDT 1998

Mark Walker wrote in response to  Doug Yanega

O.K., so you're suggesting that in some cases the need for wings goes away
>and thus the species either lose the wings or they stop using them.  How
>does that in any way prove that wings have no purpose for the remaining
>99.9%?

I agree, it can't say anything about purpose.

 I don't see how any intelligent person can possibly think that
>natural selection is a viable explanation for how insects which DO use their
>wings came about having them.

That is a matter of personal opinion. Even though you may not be able to see
how any intelligent person can possibly think in that way, does not mean
that their position is not valid.

 Unless, of course, one has no other
>explanation to fall back upon.  Are we suggesting that there exists some
>sort of spontaneous metamorphosis gene available for random body form
>changing, and that after trial and error and survival of the fittest that by
>chance a worm that had no way of reproducing suddenly solved all of it's
>problems by becoming a winged creature?

I, for one, would not suggest, in the absence of direct evidence on that matter,
that this kind of process is all there was to the evolution of wings from
non-wings.

Sincerely, John Grehan