P. sennae (Cloudless Sulphur) outbreak

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu Sep 10 17:46:04 EDT 1998

Several years ago in early Autumn I observed a northward movement of Cloudless
Sulfurs and Gulf Fritillaries on the North Carolina coast near Wilmington.  Like
Harry Pavulaan's description, the butterflies moved along a very narrow path (both
species), just to the seaward side of the outermost vegetation.  "Leading line"
movements have been discussed for hawks following specific landmarks.  But I
thought that the butterflies might have been following a scent trail.  I also
noticed a similar phenomenon on the coast of Costa Rica (Osa Peninsula) with
dayflying moths.
Name: Michael Gochfeld
E-mail: Michael Gochfeld <gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu>
UMDNJ/RWJMS and EOHSI, Piscataway, NJ