Wings

John Grehan jrg13 at psu.edu
Mon Sep 14 13:15:31 EDT 1998

Regarding Alex Netherton's comments, I would observe that I, for one, have
not been
slinging any Darwinian ideas about (at least as far as mechanism is
concerned). As for
Lamarkian ideas coming back into vogue I would be interested in citation as
I have not
kept track of that line in recent years.

I'm not sure that biologists talking about a species being "forced" into an
adaptation could
necessarily be considered Lamarckian unless they were referring to
transmission of aquired
somatic characters.

I am also not sure that modern genetics precludes outside environmental
forces affecting
rate of mutation or that this is Lamarkian where it involves reproductive
cells since this is not
the transmission of an aquired somatic character. I'm not a geneticist so
stand for being
corrected if I am wrong about this.

Wings are just question marks in flight.

Sincerely, John Grehan