Buying Livestock

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Mon Sep 14 19:52:42 EDT 1998

Dear listers/Graham,

        I personally am bothered by the advertising of
lepidopterological material for sale, and delete any such messages
with some vehemence, but would not suggest that I have any right to
prevent others from posting such messages.

     As for Graham's questions:

> (a) Have a "no kill" policy.

Nope.  No such policy.

> (b) Kill specimens for a "collection" (hunting instinct)

Yep, though I'm not sure what "hunting instinct" has to do with it.
I have always made it very clear to anyone who is interested that my
collection is an open one, where people who are interested can come
and study, compare their own specimens to mine, etc.  I have even
done some *limited* identification, but only after request.  Granted,
for people who want to use my collection, they'll have to come visit
me, but, hey, what can I say.  I suppose from the above that my
collection, at least to a point, fits under (c) below.

> (c) Kill / Breed for scientific study

Yep.

> (d) Breed for conservation purposes

Not frequently, but yep.