Looking for Lacey Act info

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Wed Sep 16 22:45:46 EDT 1998

	There has been a _lot_ of information related to the Lacey Act
in the News of the Lep. Soc. for several years now. As far as grand-
fathering goes, I remember reading (perhaps on Entomo-L or Leps-L) that
the F&WS now has procedures for 'cleansing' museum collections when they
contain material that is not 'Lacey Act clean'. However, these procedures
were not available for private collections.

	I also have been told by F&WS staff that specimens collected
before the Lacey Act was modified in 1981 to include insects are, as one
would expect, not covered. Earlier, some F&WS people had given the impres-
sion that older material would still be illegal under the current act,
according to comments from various people who had attended talks given
by F&WS personnel.

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu