Killing Butterflies

Alex danetherton at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 21 09:46:07 EDT 1998

Dear friends;
I couldn't let this thread go by without saying something. I have taught Environmental Education for 7 years and always taught my students that there was little reason for killing anything except for serious scientific enquiry or to eat it. If you check Pyle (Audubon's Guide) he strongly discourages killing butterflies, but encourages photography. With photos, there is little upkeep, little storage problem, and no beetles. I feel that as stewards (I think the wrong word was used in KJ's translation) we have to train our students in respect, not in exploitation. With the quantity of roadkill, there is ample opportunity for collection without putting pressure on the survivors.
Sincerely;
Alex Netherton
Asheville NC
danetherton at earthlink.net