Killing butterflies

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Tue Sep 22 06:42:38 EDT 1998

Kenelm Philip wrote:

>         Since I am one of the people who responded to Eric Wahlgren's re-
> quest for information and thus aroused Terry Rodbards' ire, I would like to
> make some comments (and beg the forgiveness of those who have had enough
> of this topic).

 snip

Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant.
So glad Terry asked the question; it needs to be asked. Every collector,
with every bug, needs to say to himself, "Should I kill this bug?"
So glad Ken answered it.
	Part of learning about nature involves capturing and/or killing stuff,
unless one is particularly saintly. Or squeamish, or sentimental.
	Another part of our interface with nature is the notion that we have to
rescue everything and nurse it back to health ... it's fun to watch them
at the zoo when someone brings in a baby grackle to be fostered
(grackles being a sort of avian cockroach in these circumstances).
Having been anthropomorphized, the bird now has to be treated with
dignity. And yet, the snakes are right there, and hungry ... it would be
so easy.

>         Finally, Eric _asked_ for this information. To my mind, withholding
> knowledge from a curious mind is a worse sin than killing an insect.
>
>                                                         Ken Philip
> fnkwp at uaf.edu

Failing to foster anyone's education is a sin. Terry, I hope you are
contented with our answers, and understand our feelings as well. Some of
the collectors are pretty sore after a series of attacks.
	And, as Ken points out, we have real problems, and Eric is part of the
solution.
Anne Kilmer
South Florida