Trees used by Monarch butterflies in California

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 23 18:24:58 EDT 1998

I think I go along with Liz on the Eucalypts.  I'm not against exotic flowers and
plant a variety of horticultural varieties for decoration that are of no apparent use
to butterflies, hummingbirds, or me for that matter.  But it's not clear why Monarchs
trump other creatures.  If Pacific Grove loses its Monarch Roosts we can all
sympathize. Maybe Monarchs can be trained to roost on wire lattices.  Or people can go
somewhere else to see them.  Of course, I personally don't care what they plant there,
but I would encourage them to consider the principle----the world has more than enough
Eucalyptus.
Name: Michael Gochfeld
E-mail: Michael Gochfeld <gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu>