Trees used by Monarch butterflies in California

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri Sep 25 15:03:54 EDT 1998

At a meeting in Australia a few years ago (actually 1974) I heard a paper comparing
the bird faunas of Eucalyptus and Monterrey Pine forests in California and
Australia.  Not surprisingly the Eucalytpus in California and the Monterrey Pine in
Australia were much more sterile than their native counterparts. Although the focus
was on birds, it was attributed to the dearth of insects adapted to the non-native
forests.  Like pines, the leaves of Eucalyptus suppress the growth of an herbaceous
understory, supporting Doug's suggestion that cement posts provide better habitat
or my earlier suggestion for rigging an artificial wire structure to attract the
Monarchs.
Name: Michael Gochfeld
E-mail: Michael Gochfeld <gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu>
UMDNJ/RWJMS and EOHSI, Piscataway, NJ