Monarchs and Sulphurs

Alex danetherton at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 27 17:54:44 EDT 1998

My wife and I went to the Cherry Grove overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway
yesterday to watch the Monarch (D. plexippus) migration, and saw them moving
by at the rate of 100 or so per hour. Also seen were Cloudless Giant
Sulphurs at the rate of 50 or so per hour, also headed south. Saw a single
Little Yellow, (Eurema lisa) at nectar on Purple Aster, not in directed
flight. Also 1 Buckeye (Junonia coenia) headed South very close to the
ground.
Question. Is there any evidence to show that other species than Monarch
indulge in migration, especially the ones noted here?
Thanks;
Alex Netherton
Asheville NC
danetherton at earthlink.net