Thoas Swallowtail, So. Cal Books,etc.

Wanda Dameron be496 at lafn.org
Tue Sep 29 13:00:58 EDT 1998

As a very active butterflier, I have as yet to see a Giant Swallowtail
in So. Cal.    We are always glad to hear of reports and except for
citrus areas in Imperial County where they definitely breed, most
reports have been sporadic and along the coast, usually late summer.
This year is an exception where some reports have been received from
central L.A. though none yet from the San Fernando Valley where I
reside, with Citrus in my yard and the Orcutt Ranch groves next door.
It would be great if they would expand this far and at least become
periodic residents!

Resource Info:  "Butterflies of the Greater L.A. Area" by Rudi Mattoni,
a foldout with over 100 butterflies is nominally priced and quite good.
For more extensive resources and all under $35:   "Butterflies of
Southern California" by Emmel & Emmel, '73 that has all of our species
and subspecies.  Lucklily we are one of the few places in the U.S. to
have a regional guide, especially one so comprehensive.  Though it is
out of print, Bio-Quip may have a few left and our Butterfly Chapter has
four copies.   The next best is Garth & Tilden's "Butterflies of
California" that is worthwhile, though not as many ssp. and some in
black and white. Understand that Paul Opler's new and improved Peterson
"Western Butterflies" will be out next April or May.....   For pure
beauty and ability to see detail, though of limited species diversity,
nothing competes with Bob Stewart's "Common Butterflies of California,"
1997.   Others are "in progress"......but nothing we know of expected
out anytime soon.....

To add to our records, butterfly reports should be sent to (1) the L.A.
County Museum of Natural History, Entomology Section, where they will be
compiled for forthcoming publication and (2) if new to a County, the
USGS gov. net site
http://www.npwrc.org/resource/distr/lepid/bflyusa/bflyusa.htm
and (3) we of the LANABA also (Los Angeles Chapter of the North American
Butterfly Association) like to hear of them and add to our
records--which will also go to other 2 sources.   We meet the 3rd Wed
ea. month for anyone interested--a small group with not a huge amount of
experience, but enthusiastic and have lots of programs and trips (Ca.,
Az, Mexico) to learn.   Join NABA ($25--NABA Membership, 4 Delaware Rd.,
Morristown, NJ 007960)  and ask to be assigned to our chapter or
subscribe to our newsletter--$5 to Margaret Huffman, 16856 Edgar St.,
Pacific Palisades, Ca. 90272.

				Cheers & Good Butterflying,

				Wanda Dameron, San Fernando Valley, Ca.
				LANABA, Lorquin, Xerces, Lep Societies
				Flutterby Press (butterfly materials)

P.S. If you purchase from LANABA, included is standard NABA name
translations ready to paste across from butterfly plates.....
Sale profits go into our conservation fund.