Kill Bugs Fast

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Wed Sep 30 04:46:55 EDT 1998

	Despite what Mitch Marcotte posted, you should never crush the
_abdomen_ of a butterfly to kill it. 'Pinching' involves deforming the
_thorax_ to paralyze the flight muscles. If you accidentally also crush
the abdomen, you will usually find that the hind wings have been glued
together by the exudate--which does not lead to a good specimen.

	I have found ethyl acetate to be an excellent killing fluid for
butterflies. It's comparatively harmless to humans, and I have never had
any subsequent trouble spreading specimens. Just don't spill any on your
camera, or antique dining room table...

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu