Blossom Underwing (Orthosia miniosa) sudden appearance - UK Moths

Tony Prichard tonyp at kbss.bt.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 19:13:19 EDT 1999

Hi

Within south Suffolk within the last week we have had 3 records of
Blossom Underwing, each from different sites. I have also heard that
they have been turning up records of the species in Norfolk as well.

I don't have a verified record for this species in Suffolk since the
1930's, although the MOGBI series shows a few dots for Suffolk. Norfolk
haven't recorded the species since the 1950's.

I gather from Gerry Haggett that the species is not considered a
migrant. So it would appear unlikely that the records are migrants.

Has anybody else been turning up this species in unexpected places? Or
is this phenomenon restricted to East Anglia.

Thanks

Tony Prichard