Blossom Underwing (Orthosia miniosa) sudden appearance - UK Moths

Clive Sheppard clive at moonman.com
Sun Apr 11 12:04:54 EDT 1999

On 8 Apr 1999 01:34:35 -0700, NGD at WPO.NERC.AC.UK (Nick
Greatorex-Davies) wrote:

>Has anybody else been turning up this species in unexpected places? Or
>is this phenomenon restricted to East Anglia.
>
>Thanks
>
>Tony Prichard
>

>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            !
    !

Re: Blossom Underwing:

I've seen two specimens (not mine!) so far from Norfolk and also heard
rumours that it has turned up at the Lizard. I'm in West Norfolk and
still waiting to see one here!

The ones I've seen have both been very fresh and didn't look like
migrants.

 I too asked Gerry Haggett when I saw him the other day and as you say
he's not heard of them being migrants. Not recorded from Norfolk for
50yrs! Given the active recording around here of late I would have
thought it would have been found before now.

Any others turning up?

Clive Sheppard