Aglais urticae

Sofie Vandewoestijne vandewoestijne at ecol.ucl.ac.be
Mon Apr 12 12:48:23 EDT 1999

Dear Leps,

	I am a phD student at the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium. My
work is centered around the following theme: "The spatial and temporal
population genetic structure of Aglais urticae". Preliminary allozyme
analyses (of individuals originating from the south of France to the North
of Holland) indicate a species characterised by a high genetic diversity,
some significant genetic differentiation is observed between the sampled
populations but this differentiation is not due to isolation by distance
(the population sampled in the south of France is genetically speaking
closer to Belgian populations than are Belgian populations between them).
	I believe that, to be able to describe the genetic population structure
more accurately, a sampling over the whole of the species distribution
needs to be done. Aglais urticae has a palearctic distribution. It can be
found from the Scandinavian countries to the south of Spain and from
Ireland to the east of Asia.
	It is obviously impossible to do this kind of sampling all by myself. I
sincerely hope that some of you will be able to help me with this project.
Since samples will be analysed with DNA techniques (mtDNA sequencing), the
samples need to be kept in a dry place (for example: envelope with silica
gel) or be preserved in ethanol. Parts (one or 2 leggs) of butterflies
coming from collections are also very welcome. The date, place and altitude
(if possible) of capture need to be known. Ideally, several specimens per
site are necessary.
Samples can then be send to:
Sofie Vandewoestijne
Unite d'Ecologie et de Biogeographie
Universite Catholique de Louvain
Place Croix du Sud, 4-5
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Belgium
Costs of shipping the specimens will of course be reimbursed.
	If you have any questions or comments, or if you know of anyone who is not
on this list and could help me, please feel free to send me an e-mail
(vandewoestijne at ecol.ucl.ac.be) or to write to the above mentioned adress.

Thank you in advance, and I hope to hear from some of you soon.

Sofie