New German Butterfly-Site / Early Butterflies in South-Switzerland (Lago Maggiore)

Walter Schön Walter.Schoen at t-online.de
Mon Apr 12 17:24:19 EDT 1999

Hi,

it's the first time for me to make a contribution to this Newsgroup.

I'd like to inform you about two things :

First :

Have a look at my new Butterfly-Site !
www.schmetterling-raupe.de
schmetterling = butterfly , raupe = caterpillar
Select the Button "Schmetterlinge"
You'll find a lot pictures, ordered by the months when the butterflies
can be met ( | März | , | April | , | Mai | , .......  ).
There are not many German butterfly-Sites yet , so I'm a little bit proud,
to have finally started to do this work.

Second :

I had a stay in South-Switzerland (Lago Maggiore , near Locarno,  Valle
Maggia, Val Verzasca) from 6.April to 10.April :

I could observe the following species :

Nymphalis antiopa   (10)
Nymphalis polychloros (2)
Iphiclides podalirius (1)
Papilio machaon (12)
Gonepteryx rhamni (30)
Aglais urticae (5)
Polygonia c-album (2)
Inachis io (3)
Colias crocea (5)
Issoria lathonia (1)
Pararge aegeria (15)
Lycaena phlaeas (4)
Lasiommata megera (1)
Pieris napi (10)
Pieris rapae (4)
Anthocharis cardamines (15)
Callophrys rubi (3)
Leptidea sinapis (1)
Scolitantides orion (4)
Celastrina argiolus (2)

Vanessa atalanta (2, not very fresh , they could have hibernated)

+ Eudia pavonia (1 male, attracted by a female)

Best wishes for a good butterfly-season !

Walter Schoen
South-Germany , near Lake of Constance
Walter.Schoen at t-online.de