Zamacra juglansiaria Graeser

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Thu Apr 15 12:50:51 EDT 1999

Donald Hobern wrote:

> Can anyone here tell me anything about the Geometrid illustrated on the
> Moths of Japan web site at:
>
> http://www2.ask.ne.jp/~gen0759/jmoth.html
>
> The photograph seems to show a moth with the forewings held rigidly
> perpendicular to the body in the manner of a plume moth (Pterophoridae)
> and the hind wings along the line of the abdomen.  Is this really how
> this moth rests?

Actually, there is a whole group of moths that sits this way -- the
epiplemids (or epiplemine uraniids, depending on who you talk to).  I
haven't looked at the picture myself, but if there are epiplemids in
Japan, my bet is that Zamacra juglansiaria may be an epiplemid and
not a geometrid.

            James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"