Help identifying a moth...

tmeunier at ix.netcom.com tmeunier at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 15 20:45:34 EDT 1999

Hi folks,

I just found this stunningly beautiful moth in my lawn, in Austin, Texas.
I'm wondering what it is.   The body is about 1.5" long, white with black
spots on the bottom, like a dalmation, except the spots are in 5 parallel
rows along the length of its bodies.   The center row is the thickest, and
the two rows on either side of that become slightly smaller.   One spot per
"segment" of its body.    The top of the body is black, with orange stripes.
The wings are pure paper white, with the OUTLINE of spots in black.   Little
oblong circles drawn on paper, it looks like.   Including the wings, it's
about 2" in length, total.   It is quite fat, I think it may be full of
eggs.    The legs are white in front, solid black on the sides and back.
It's the most stunning insect I've seen, even though I am by no means a
hobbyist.

Does anyone have any idea what this thing could be?

Tom Meunier
tmeunier at ix.netcom.com