RFI: French Pyrenees: Ariege

Pierre Zagatti zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
Mon Apr 19 04:37:57 EDT 1999

Ariege is a very good place for butterflies and insects in general, but the
beginning of June
seems to be quite early for mountain species. The mid-elevations of central
Ariege are one
of the best places for nature observation since human penetration is very low
(the same as in southern
Massif Central), but it's probably more crowdy at higher elevations toward the
Spanish boundary.
There you'll find good species around the pass to Andorra (Pas de la Case),
but I suspect that
snow will be still abundant (it will depend on the weather during May).

The best spot for insects is the Tet Valley in The Pyreneees Orientales
Department, very close to Ariege.
It is the classical place for "spanish species" since there are more than 300
sunny days per year.
More than 150 species of butterflies have been recorded within the limits of
the small town of Fontpedrouse
(from 900 m to 2500 m). If you wish to collect specimens, be aware of the
protected status of many
species you may find here (Zerinthia rumina, Pieris ergane, Parnassius spp.,
Proclossiana eunomia,
Euphydryas desfontainii, Euphydryas aurinia debilis...).

Have a good trip.

Pierre

--
Pierre ZAGATTI
INRA Unite de Phytopharmacie et Mediateurs Chimiques
e-mail zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/