complaint address

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Thu Apr 22 13:14:06 EDT 1999

Let's finish this off. Pierre originally wrote:

>> >True.  There is something even more effective: tell you Internet Service
>> >Provider (ISP).  That should get some good service as well: an ISP can
>> >block email coming in that originates from an offending site

And then changed that to:

> They have ways of finding offending email's real origins,
>and then tell the offending party to stop.  Several times, I have asked
>the techies at LAFN to do so, and they have succeeded every time in
>shutting down the sender - or at least in getting the sender to stop
>(only a couple times has this taken a second attempt).

Asking your ISP to block spam is NOT the same thing as asking your ISP to
trace it and get the spammer disconnected. The former is passive, and
ineffective, as it allows the spammer to continue, the latter *is*
effective (and you *can* do it yourself, as I do - the "tricks" your ISP
uses to trace mail are simple things you can do yourself; I have links to
all the needed tools on my home page). If you meant the latter, you should
have said the latter. You got flamed for no good reason, then. ;-)

Apologies,

Doug Yanega       Dept. of Entomology           Entomology Research Museum
phone: (909) 787-4315
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/