Butterfly Larvae needed

Tom Allen Tallen at mail.dnr.state.wv.us
Wed Apr 28 12:55:16 EDT 1999

Dear members:

I am working on a new field guide to the caterpillars of North
American butterflies. (I authored "The Butterflies of West Virginia
and Their Caterpillars") This new book will be published in 2002 and
will cover species of the US and southern Canada.  To date Jim Brock,
my coauthor, and I have about 260 species completed. (Jim coauthored
"The butterflies of SE Arizona") We are aiming for 400 species.  We
want to do all the swallowtail, all the showy nymphalids at least,
and genera representatives of the lycaenids, pierids, etc., as well
as the skippers.  Our biggest weakness to this point are the alpine
and northern species.  Can any of you out there help with this
effort, and will you help?  We will acknowledge any contributions,
and I will pay for your shipping costs of larvae.  I need 1 or 2
larvae of various species.   I can send a list of material upon
request.  I am interested in northern sulphurs, skippers, arctics,
wood nymphs, and others.  I especially want a larva or 2 of Papilio
brevicauda and Nyphalis vau-album.  Northwestern material is also
important.  Thanks for any help you are willing to give.

Tom Allen