moth id

Mike Soukup mikayak at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 23 16:42:07 EDT 1999

Hi Lisa,

	Since it burrowed, it is most likely a moth.  Second ...where do you
live (VERY, VERY important!)!  The diagonal stripes make me think it is
a Sphinx / Hawkmoth.  Some sphingiids have no posterior horn per
se....but most have at least a "bump" on the butt.  However, a quick
perusal of the "Index of Plant Names" in the back of Hodges Sphingoidea
fascicle shows no reference to Datura or Jimpson-weed....so I doubt that
he lists it as a larval host for any sphingiid.  Hmmm...unless you get a
better guess....looks like we'll have to wait and see.
-
--
Mike Soukup
mikayak at ix.netcom.com