Day flying moths

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Fri Aug 27 10:09:41 EDT 1999

Are we talking numbers of species, or shear numbers?  I would think the
former is definitely a yes, and when you consider micros (which are mostly
ignored by net swingers) the latter is probably also true.  Nevertheless, my
perception from the field is that I am at least twice as likely to encounter
a butterfly than I am a day flying moth.

Many of the moths that are encountered during the day are not really "day
flying" moths, but are rather resting night flying moths that have been
disturbed.

On a slightly different note, we've seen posts recently documenting
butterfly species that have been attracted by light traps.  Has anyone ever
disturbed a resting butterfly into taking flight at night (flight here would
probably be short and erratic)?  I have never personally witnessed this
phenomenon at night, and rarely have seen it during my trekking on overcast
days.  I've heard from other butterfly enthusiasts who occasionally perform
their studies on rainy and overcast days - and are consistently able to
locate resting butterflies and even get them to take flight.  I would expect
the same could be done at night, though as I've said I've never witnessed
it.

Mark Walker.