Selection and non-random variation

John Grehan jrg13 at psu.edu
Mon Aug 30 07:25:23 EDT 1999

Kenelm Philip

 You can argue all you
>like about whether other processes operate as well as natural selection--
>but no one can maintain that natural selection won't work at all.

I agree with the latter part of this statement, but the implication of the
first
that other processes are somehow just a matter of argument would be
inaccurate since patterns of concerted evolution (basically involving
an orthogenetic process) have been demonstrated. Like selection, the
arguement comes down to how much significance such procesess
have in the long-term.

John Grehan