Science and creationism

Semjase semjase at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 15:14:28 EDT 1999

>Subject: Re: Science and creationism
>From: dyanega at pop.ucr.edu  (Doug Yanega)

>>and the breeds of dogs represent intelligently directed
>>selection not natural selection. In other words regarding dog breeds
>>there is intelligent action taking place external to the dogs not just
>>plain old randomness.
>
>Evolution is rarely random. Natural selection, by definition, is NOT
>random.

Mutation can be random and natural selection although not random can be very
inefficient.  Where intelligent choices are made the process would speed up
greatly rather than waiting around for something to happen.  However as is
continually being found out the "natural selection"  may not be the only
process operative.  Regarding a creator "God" this entity is by definition not
understandable to mankind so the exact modes of interaction would hardly be as
simplistic as fundamentalist christians etc. would have one believe.
 Some organisms leave more copies of their genome than others, and
>if there is a heritable basis for this, then that will bias things in the
>favor of individuals that possess that heritable feature, and it will
>spread. That's like saying that someone who always draws at least one ace
>and one king playing poker is going to win at random. Besides which, the
>part of evolution which IS random is the same in dog breeding; new mutants
>arise by chance, NO ONE can design them (yet).

I notice you say yet.  Are you implying that through genetic engineering that
the process will speed up due to inteligent intervention.  Just what will this
intervention do to the present biosphere and evolution if that process is
actually ongoing.  Are you indicating that evolution eventually leads to
intelligent intervention in the process.
 If I desire a dog breed with
>plates like an armadillo, or scales like a pangolin (a better guard dog), I
>won't be able to do anything about it until nature supplies me with one, by
>random chance. I'd be just as bad off trying to breed armadillos or
>pangolins that can bite a man's arm off.

Just don't turn them loose if you ever do it!

>Peace,
>

>Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology

S.