flying in NW, GA, in case you're interested

DR. JAMES ADAMS JADAMS at em.daltonstate.edu
Thu Dec 9 11:15:58 EST 1999

TX butterfliers,

	Just thought I'd give you a little something from a different part
of the world.

	We're currently experiencing our fourth warm winter (so far!) in
a row.  Still flying here on warmer days are Cloudless Sulphurs
(Phoebis sennae), Gulf Fritillaries (Agraulis vanillae), Sleepy
Oranges (Eurema nicippe), and some of the adult hibernators
(Anglewings!).  The Buck Moth (Hemileuca maia) flight ended about
three weeks ago, and was stronger than it has been for several
years.  Perhaps the biggest butterfly surprise was a Red-Banded
Hairstreak (Calycopis cecrops) I saw on the way to the College this
morning perched on the wall of a gas station.  This is definitely the
lastest in the year I have ever seen this species flying.

	Oh, and for your moth-ers out there, its been very slow except
for the huge flight of Winter Geometrid (Erannis tiliaria) we are
currently experiencing.  The best noctuids have been one
specimen of Lithophane lemmeri and one specimen of Lithophane
lepida, both typically uncommon in this area, especially the L.
lepida, which is definitely at the southern end of its range here.

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"