Harvest rates

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu Dec 16 20:42:40 EST 1999

I would be cautious about accepting statistics on fish harvest rates,
because they may not take into account sustainability.  I grew up with
what I call the "weekly reader" concept of resources. That is fish were
a renewable resources, and pulp and timber companies replanted forests
and sustained their yields indefinitely.  My experience both here and
abroad is that the reality is different----harvest all the fish as
quickly as possible and sell your boats to some other country so they
can do the same.  Fishery folk may be more enamored of models than of
reality, and when fish populations decline or the size of the fish
declines, they are loathe to abandon the models and instead blame
sampling.

Mike Gochfeld