Insect Regulations

gary gaugler see.signature at bottom.com
Sun Dec 19 23:26:22 EST 1999

On Sun, 19 Dec 99 22:39:17 GMT, Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk (Neil Jones)
wrote:

>In article <60F1FEB31CA3D211A1B60008C7A45F43088F239D at blaze.bcsc.gov.bc.ca>
>           Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca "Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX" writes:
>
>> I agree with Ken's observations about not unthinkingly extending to insects
>> the same concepts we use with vertebrates.  I would extend this to
>> conservation issues because of the following example: (apologies in advance
>> if my dated information is incorrect); This has to do with Boloria acrocnema
>> and perceptions/dataless allegations of "intense" collecting pressure as a
>> justification for listing it as endangered.
>
>I sincerely do not wish to start the collecting debate again.
>I do NOT wish to see collecting banned.
>
>Now that I have made that clear let me deal with the facts. The stuff about
>intense collecting of Boloria acrocnema is true. I don't have the exact papers
>to hand but it concerned the case of the three guys who were prosecuted a
>while ago. I am being circumspect in my descriptions because one of them
>used to inflict his "historic" postings on the list as part of his
>community service. Those who were around at the time will understand. Those
>who were not could try searching the archives for "vegetarian eco-nazis"
>and "loch ness monster"
>
>For those from other corners of the globe B. acrocnema is the
> Uncompaghre Fritillary. Confined to one or perhaps two or so
>colonies in some high US mountains, it is one of those peculiar
>wonders of the entomological world a glacial relict. The population
>being the decendants of an ancient race that were left behind in the
>wake of the receding glaciers at the end of the last ice age.
>
>Whilst it is true that insects do have a greater fecundity than mammals this
>does not mean that increased predation cannot affect them and collecting
>is just predation by Homo sapiens. This is particularly so when there
>are a minority of obsessive humans like the "Gentlemen" mentioned above who
>will stop at nothing to get as many specimens of rare creatures as possible.
>20% predation is a comparatively low level for what can be achieved by
>collecting. Indeed I do recall a paper on the Heath Fritillary Mellitea athalia
>where it was demonstrated that 80% of the population could be collected in a
>single day.
>Furthermore there is the example of the New Forest Burnet Moth
>Zygaena viciae yetenensis which was extirpated here in the UK in the 1920's
>after the expert collectors of the day predicted that the predations of dealers
>would lead to this outcome.
>
>Now from my point of view the survival of this glory of nature takes precidence
>over the desire of a few individuals to own a specimen. My belief is that
>with such a rare and precious creature we should take care and follow the
>principle expounded by medical practitioners - first of all do no harm.

As I said, the humans have the first choice of squashing or not
squashing an insect.  That is simply because the human is highest on
the food chain.

While this is all true, the human has an option to squash or not
squash (substitute capture/kill if you like).  The natural ecosphere
is affected in some degree by every action of every living thing.  I
think so.  It this is true, then I also believe that there is some
elastic nature to this ecosphere.  Therefore, at some point, otherwise
elastic actions will result in damage to to ecosphere either directly
or as a "trickle down" effect.

It seems to me that humans have the only option of doing something or
not doing it.   Lesser species have no choice, owing to their
instinctual directives.  History shows what happens when humans run
rampant by slaughtering one species of animal and others.  Only now,
after perhaps a hundred years are the effects being reversed.

If one thinks that all beings (used generally for living creatures)
are not intertwined, then the demise of one vs. another would make no
difference.  I don't believe that that is true.

yet, what about eliminating all flies?  Kill them all.  What would be
the consequences of such a feat?  Think about it.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.