Why Are Moths Attracted To Lights? -- The Real Answer

Stanley A. Gorodenski stanlep at gateway.net
Fri Dec 31 13:19:02 EST 1999

The International Dark Sky Association IS composed of "Scientists" as
you call it.  This is far far from an organization "announcing the sky
is falling" or "running in circles", nor is it "one man's speculation".
I suggest you educate yourself on the issue by going to their web site
at www.darksky.org.

You undoubtedly are not be aware of it, but unshielded lights have been
found to attract sea turtles and hatchlings away from the ocean, many
times leading to their deaths.  Volusia county, Florida, has adopted
lighting ordinances that requires lights to be properly shielded.  This
not only prevents wasted light from going up in the air where it is not
need, thus saving natural energy resources, but it also saves our dark
skies, and it saves sea turtles, which are protected under the
endangered species act, from a man made death. The concern about the
adverse effects of irresponsible lighting, or any other man made
intrusion, on the environment (including egg laying cyles of moths) is a
legitimate concern.

Stan Gorodenski