Please help identify this moth larva

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Mon Feb 1 10:17:45 EST 1999

Dear Listers,

> >It is a fast moving caterpillar.
>
> Then I'll bet it's going to be an arctiid - don't even need to see the
> photo to wager money on that one. If there's oleander in the area, I'd put
> a side wager on it being Syntomeida epilais. I can't recall what Didasys
> belae or Empyreuma eat, though. There's a few nice arctiids down
> thereabouts. James?

Well, I tried accessing the image and couldn't.  If the caterpillar
is bright yellowish-orange with black hairy tufts, it's Syntomeida
epilais.  If it is bright yellowish-orange with yellowish-orange
tufts, then its Empyreuma affinis.  If it is neither of these, then I
need a description to work with.

                      James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"