Lycaenids

butrfly at epix.net butrfly at epix.net
Sat Feb 6 04:18:25 EST 1999

Pierre A Plauzoles wrote:

> In a previous article, MWalker at gensym.com (Mark Walker) says:
>
> >I don't have answers to all of your questions, as I am no expert on the life
> >cycle of the Karner Blue (Lycaeides melissa samuelis).  I have read of the
> >relationship of the butterfly's larva with a species of ant (which feeds on
> >larval secretions), but don't know to what extent the relationship is
> >symbiotic.

The lycaenid larvae have a transverse oval opening on the eleventh segement
along the dorsal line. The larva can produce a drop of sweet liquid at
will. Ants are very fond of this and will glady serve as guardians for
these 'meal tickets'

Many species of ants will actually tend the larvae through the first
three stages. Some species in India will, when it is time to proceed
into the pupal stage, Take the larvae deeper underground so they can
be better protected.

The Ceylonese (Aphnaeus lohita) will acutally build shelters for the
larvae from the leaves of Acacia and Greviilae trees. The caterpillars
are driven out at night and then herded back to the shelters in the morning.

The Lycaenids are also considered carnivorous butterflies.

Rick Mikula