Early spring butterflies at Cape May NJ

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri Feb 19 06:02:25 EST 1999

This report is forwarded from another list regarding CAPE MAY, NJ

>Nature Notes: The mid-week warm weather produced a spate of butterfly
>sightings Mourning Cloak, Question Mark, and Orange Sulphur were all
seen >at the Cape May NWR at Woodcock Lane on the Feb 16th, and six
Orange Sulphurs >were in Burleigh NJ on the same day.

--------------------------By contrast---------------------------

There has been nothing resembling a butterfly in Central NJ although the
first Snowdrop (a flower) bloomed a week earlier this year than last,
even though last year was substantially warmer.  Snow cover has been
virtually absent this year (about 4 days) while last winter there were
only about 3 days of snow cover.  I haven't checked but I would expect
the norm to be about 15 days.

The microclimate at ground level (or below) where things over-winter,
must be a delicate balance between air temperature and insulative snow
cover.

M. Gochfeld