New Callippe Siver Spot colony

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Tue Jan 5 13:04:01 EST 1999

I assume that we are talking about some ssp. of Speyeria callippe (S. c.
callippe)?  Since the foodplant is easy enough to grow, why isn't someone
attempting to rear this Fritillary?  Since adults oviposit when the violets
have died back, they depend on habitats which are undisturbed over many
seasons (that is, where the foodplant is sustained).  Golf courses don't
seem to fit into that sort of category.  Empty lots adjacent to golf courses
don't fit into that category, either.

If anyone has any spare acreage in the Bay area, why not plant some Viola
and create a bastion?

What's up?  We're not talking about an endangered larval foodplant or
foodplant habitat here (are we?).  Anyone got the scoop?

Thanks for the report anyhow Sally.  I'd like to know who found the
butterflies and was savvy enough to identify them.

Mark Walker.
Mission Viejo, CA