the knowledge?

Steve Law steve at solitary-sound.com
Wed Jan 27 19:33:53 EST 1999

In article <78klml$9rb$1 at taliesin.netcom.net.uk>, "Graham Patten"
<grahamp at maelstrom-vp.com> wrote:

> hello,
>
> Could anyone tell me if there is a web site that has a search engine for
> common and latin names of butterflies.
>
> A friend gave me some butterflies in a box, but only the common names are on
> it.
> If they are easy then perhaps someone could let me know. these are the six
> names on the case:
>

> thanks in advance
> Graham.

 These all sound like south-east Asian butterflies. I can only offer an
approximation on the scientific names of some of these:

 striped blue bottle - probably a Graphium species, possibly a sub-species
of   Graphium sarpedon

 clipper - Parthenos sylvia

 orange albatross - Appias sp, possibly Appias nero

 malasian jay - possibly a Malaysian sub-species of Graphium agamemnon

 great orange tip - Hebomoia glaucippe

 and banded peacock - ???

 Hope this has been some help.

 --- STEVE