Vanessa atalanta update - Denmark

Guy Van de Poel Guy_VdP at t-online.de
Mon Jul 5 17:06:43 EDT 1999

Hi,

For the first time in a couple of weeks (the sun has been only shining when
I had to work), I was out yesterday. One thing I noticed was that despite
good numbers of the seasonal butterflies (Maniola jurtina, Melanargia
galathea, Aphantopus hyperantus, the normal pierids), there were almost no
Nymphalinae out. There was a single Vanessa atalanta, but that was all, and
though I've been looking for caterpillars of Aglais urticae and Inachis io,
I couldn't find any.
I'm in the Heidelberg - Germany area, is this true for the rest of W. Europe
too ?

Guy.

Guy Van de Poel
Guy_VdP at t-online.de