What is this large white moth?

cgurnick cgurnick at cwix.com
Tue Jul 6 22:26:29 EDT 1999

We recently had 2 large (at least 2 1/2 inches long each) moths mate, then
lay very organized eggs on our white garage. The moths were both all white
with black circles. Some of the circles were all black, but some of the
other circles were not filled in. The eggs are  khaki- colored, and they
were laid all in a row, with some other smaller rows on top of each other.
I still don't know why the moths laid the eggs with no apparent foodstuffs
available. If anyone could help me identify the moth, I'd be very
appreciative. I've tried all my insect/ moth and butterfly guides, but
can't find anything even close. I live in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio.
Thanks, Chris Gurnick.