giant swallowtail returns

Paul Cherubini paulcher at concentric.net
Tue Jul 6 18:25:13 EDT 1999

> Another thing worth noting is that I think we give the butterflies too much
> credit in botany class!  They are good but I have seen them lay on the wrong
> (and unacceptable) host many times.

Ditto here. Virtually every year I see a Tiger Swallowtail or Two Tailed Swallowtail lay
one egg (and curiously just one egg) on my backyard butterfly bushes (Buddleia) which
is an unsuitable swallowtail larval host plant.

> However, one has to
> wonder if there isn't some sort of purpose to this.

Perhaps it's partly a practical thing too--if there are moments in her life when she is in a
kind of butterfly labor...then maybe getting the botany exactly right may not be a big
priority.

Paul Cherubini