giant swallowtail returns

Rev Chuck cdub at -REMOVE_THIS-erols.com
Thu Jul 15 01:34:48 EDT 1999

> > Chris Conlan wrote:
> >
> > > Another thing worth noting is that I think we give the butterflies too
> much
> > > credit in botany class!  They are good but I have seen them lay on the
> wrong
> > > (and unacceptable) host many times.
>
> OK they are simple creatures, but not daft! sometimes when feeding on sugar
> water they will lay an ova too. The buddelia reaction may be simply that it
> is so attractive to butterflies they are almost intoxicated! It causes the
> same unatural reaction. What your seeing is the odd egg wasted, she'll make
> very few mistakes overall and I'll still maintain they are the best
> botanists!

They do seem unusally oblivious to danger.  I've been able to approach
them with a camera _very_ closely when they've alighted on buddelia.  Was
almost able to grab one with my bare fingers this afternoon.

What do the tiger eggs look like, BTW?

>--
Nothing says you're insane like prayer.
Rev Chuck, Alt.Atheism #203, Ordained Reverend, ULC, 17 March, 1997.
Remove -REMOVE_THIS- from address to respond.