What do houseflies really like?

Kristina Williams Kristina_Williams at pacsci.org
Thu Jul 22 13:52:47 EDT 1999

I'll never claim to be a chemist, but I believe that most heating type
gasses are relatively odorless, which poses some danger as leaks are
difficult to detect.  So they add smelly chemicals such as mercaptans so
that leaks are detectable by a smell unpleasant enough that people do
something about it.   (Skunks produce some of these mercaptans as well.).
Supposedly, leaks in long pipelines can be detected by the presence of
vultures (it's either black or turkey) circling over the leak as they would
over a carcass.  Vultures are easier to spot out in the open than flies, but
maybe an enterprising entomologist will package flies (maybe in blue or
green bottles) for sale at the local Home Depot so that home owners could
find gas leaks...
Kristina R. Williams
Entomologist
Pacific Science Center