What do houseflies really like?

Joseph C. Tallon BlizzardSystems at Netxn.com
Fri Jul 23 12:31:58 EDT 1999

Thank you Steven If I know the source of the adults (rotting tissue not
garbage)  and the source of what is attracting
the adults (rotting tissue or gas leak) then I can eliminate the
infestation by removing these. What we don't know is the distance that the
adults will fly from the first source to the second. Is it ten yards, hundred
yards, thousand yards or ten
thousand yards. Keeping in mind the urban setting. When this
question was addressed for the subterranean termite they captured, marked and
released the workers and then recaptured
them. They found marked insects a hundred yards away. I suspect that the flies
range will be to great to be able to seek
and eliminate the original source. I have been working on my
fly problem with my mules for the last couple of seasons mostly
repellents, trapping and exclusion. I am on five acres in a
combination residential and large animals zoning.  If I started
a neighborhood  fly program how large of an area would  this
be? I believe neighborhood  IPM would work for some insects such
as termites and  mosquitos  why not flies? Jim I read your last
post saying it is not the green or bluebottle fly so I suggest that
you get a positive ID from the ext. or university then you will know their
source, range, and other preferences maybe?  Question : Do we really want to
eliminate these very beneficial
decomposers from everywhere except our immediate living
and eating areas? I guess it is a good thing that pest control
cannot eradicate and can only control.  Joseph Talon Bakers field Ca.