Identifying a species by caterpillar

Chris Johnston lorax at bcn.net
Tue Jul 27 20:33:24 EDT 1999

I recently found quite a large caterpillar (approx. 3.5-4 inches long) =
wandering around near the front door of my business in Sheffield, =
Massachusetts (in the Berkshires).  After a few hours, I discovered that =
it had enclosed itself in silk wrapped up in some curled leaves and =
bark.  I've tried to identify which species it is (knowing very little =
about Lepidoptera), but have yet to find any pictures that seem to look =
like it.  The nearest I can tell is that it is similar in size and shape =
to some swallowtails.

The caterpillar had no tufts or horns or anything and was a light, =
orangish, fleshy color on top.  Underneath, it appeared to be a brighter =
green with a green head.  Also, it had distinctive dark spots on the =
very end of its body (3 spots, I think.) They reminded me of wing spots =
on an adult.

Again, this is in Western Massachusetts.  Can anyone help me identify =
this butterfly?  I've become really curious about it.  Thanks.

Chris Johnston
lorax at bcn.net