problems with pupae at the airport?

John Shuey jshuey at tnc.org
Thu Jul 29 15:26:21 EDT 1999

Forget the potential insult to other countries - Mike's response is a
powerful display of  ignorance combined with stupidity.

In the USA, exotic species cause BILLIONS of dollars of damage to our
economy and ecosystems every year.  They range from harmless plants such as
dandelions ( which still cost many home owners hundreds to control), to
gypsy moths that defoliate hundreds of thousands of acres of forests every
year - killing mature white oaks in the process.

As a relevant aside, the primary predator of the Federally endangered Karner
Blue is an exotic predatory beetle that eats the larvae.

So to answer the original question, there are indeed laws designed to
inhibit the importation of exotic species into the US.  There's even a
presidential initiative designed to slow the rate at which exotics invade
the country.  When you fill out a customs form, you are specifically asked
if you have any living plants or animals in your possession.  If so, you are
routed to an agricultural inspector, who will politely confiscate said
material (unless you have a permit to import it - then you need to see Fish
and Wildlife in addition).  All this is designed to protect the economy and
citizens of the country.  If you are caught smuggling livestock into the US
there are criminal penalties and fines to be paid.

Thus, if it is too much bother for folks who care more about their own
interests in rearing pretty butterflies and moths to moderate their
activities, such that potential damage to others can be avoided, I suggest
that you find an anarchist society in which to live - one where personal
rights out- weigh the greater good of society.  A society where you can
proudly where the badge of both ignorance and stupidity.

John Shuey

--
John Shuey