problems with pupae at the airport?

Semjase semjase at aol.com
Fri Jul 30 14:57:32 EDT 1999

>paulcher at CONCENTRIC.NET wrote:
>
>> John Shuey wrote:
>>
>> > gypsy moths that defoliate hundreds of thousands of acres of forests
>every
>> > year - killing mature white oaks in the process.
>>
>> Semjase wrote:
>>
>> > Brought in by which moth enthusiast.  Sorry but the big boys did this
>one!
>>
>> Exactly what I was thinking. What documentation is there of any casual
>> butterfly/moth/beetle enthusiasts being the source of any exotic pest
>outbreaks or similar
>> eco-catastrophes?
>>

>I'm not sure which revisionist history books you guys are using, but gypsy
>moths were introduced
>into the US by a hack amateur moth enthusiast/Naturalist who though he could
>hybridize species
>in two different families to produce better silk production.  He choose a
>very prolific moth
>from Europe to breed with our giant cocoon spinners in the US and or with the
>silk moth itself.
>What better example do you need on misguided  "naturalist" screwing up the
>environment.  Just
>think, if there had been a law in place to prevent this idiot from bringing
>in the gypsy moth
>back in 1866, my state (Indiana) wouldn't have to douse the countryside with
>poison every year.
>
>For information on the history of the introduction go to:
>http://www.gypsymoth.ento.vt.edu/~ravlin/gm_1996.html
>
> I'm sure that the guy who wrought ecological disaster to the Eastern US was
>actually a nice
>enough guy, with good personal intentions.  He just never conceived of the
>potential problems
>associated with introducing an alien species into a world that lacks its
>natural predators.
>Little could he predict that he could spawn an entire multi-million dollar
>industry devoted to
>controlling the environmental damage he innocently and single-handedly
>unleashed.

Mr Shuey:

Thank you for proving my point which is that it was done for industrial reasons
to promote the silk industry. (The big boys) The cynthia is here for the same
reason though seldom a pest.  Same thing with killer bees and the list goes on
and on.

This is far different from the person who wishes to breed a few to observe life
history and learn a few things about a new or different species.

S.