Common names

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed Jun 2 12:14:20 EDT 1999

Just a comment which is somewhat on subject:

With a Caribbean wife and an extensive knowledge of Spanish pronunciation,
but without a formal education in Latin, I have found it often embarassing
to attempt verbal references using the scientific names.  It seems we have
all developed our own Latin pronunciation rules, and unless we're fortunate
enough to choose that which is generally accepted as being correct - we're
speaking a different language.

I'm fairly certain that the actual rules of Latin are rather tightly
defined, but I'm not sure that we're all following them.

Is there a pronunciation guide out there somewhere?  Is it _correct_?

Mark Walker.