Taxonomic question (Anthanassa/Janatella)

Markku Savela msa at anise.tte.vtt.fi
Wed Jun 2 14:44:47 EDT 1999

Greetings,

I'm trying to improve my list of butterflies using

  Francis Hemming, 1967  The Generic Names of the Butterflies ...

However while doing the Nymphalidae/Melitaeinae, I run into a problem
with Anthanassa and Janatella, because

Hemming says

  Anthanassa Scudder, 1875
	TS: Eresia cincta, Edwards, 1864
	(= Eresia leucodesma C. & R. Felder, 1861)

However, in Butterflies of Costa Rica deVries has both

  Anthanassa Scudder, 1875
and
  Janatella Higgins, 1981, which includes
	Janatella leucodesma (Felder & Felder, 1861)

So, I have some missing information. Which of the following
possibilities, is the correct one?

 1) Hemming has wrong type species for Anthanassa
 2) Eresia cincta != Eresia leucodesma
 3) Eresia leucodesma C. & R. Felder, 1861 != Janatella leucodesma
 4) something else?

I suppose I could just dump all into Phyciodes and be done with
it... :)

--
Markku Savela (msa at hemuli.tte.vtt.fi), Technical Research Centre of Finland
Multimedia Systems, P.O.Box 1203,FIN-02044 VTT,http://www.vtt.fi/tte/staff/msa/