What's in a name ---conclusion

Daniel L Robinson kalos2 at juno.com
Wed Jun 9 08:31:27 EDT 1999

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:45:45 +0100 Anne Kilmer <viceroy at anu.ie> writes:

>Our best recourse is to catch 'em young, and teach the >children to call
>butterflies by both sets of names.

Even my nearly three year old pronounces them Most "Plonkingly"!

John Acorn and others at various times have made it abundantly clear that
you don't have to possess a string of unreadable initials after your name
in order to contribute in some way to this list.  I would like to hear
from some of the other moms that I just *know* are lurking, dodging
bullets, feeling unworthy.  Anne just said we are their "best recourse".
Hear that? We aren't doing much with test tubes, or influencing the
masses with our writings, but who knows *what* we might be doing!  And
what we *might* be doing, might be better if we share.

Our family is about to celebrate this year's burst of butterfly study
with a glorious butterfly party,  including activities and discussion
that will be greatly enriched by information from listers.

I'm not suggesting that those of us guiding the next generation of
lepidopterists dominate the list and patrol to keep out all other topics.
 Just an occasional flashing of the wings, enough for us to know you are
there would be nice.  For one thing, I'd like to know how to translate
all that (whisper) BT corn pollen discussion, and many other topics
common to the list into experiments that kids can do at home.

Any moms out there?  Teachers?  Do I have to get my net??

Martha W. Robinson
Kent, WA, USA