Names . . .

Chris Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 10 13:27:36 EDT 1999

At 02:40 PM 1999:06:10 -0700, you wrote:
   . . .

>> doesn't automatically put you above your common-name using public,
>> and knowing common names doesn't make you any less scientific.
>>

>It shouldn't either - it just means that a wider audience will be able to
>understand what animal or plant you are actually talking about (and not
>just among the scientists....we are human, after all!)
>
>Kevin

  Remember a wider audience of people are served by vernacular names while
a wider audience of organisms are served by latinate Linnaeoid scientific
names. We definitely need both, and as long as people speak different
languages we shall need all the vernacular names we can find.
..........Chris Durden