Aglais and stuff

Anne Kilmer viceroy at anu.ie
Fri Jun 11 10:47:57 EDT 1999

Chris Raper wrote:

> On 11 Jun 1999 03:11:02 -0700, viceroy at anu.ie (Anne Kilmer) wrote:
>
> Hi Anne
>
> >I'm going back to calling them all Fred.
>
> Me too :-)  I must say this name debate is a bit boring to me. snip

> >Small Heath, Coenonympha pamphilus. Whom I have seen, but not this
> >year and not here.

And I've never met Fred Heath. Hi there, Fred ...

> Shame - plenty of them over in South Oxfordshire and they have been
> out for a number of weeks now. As have Common Blue (Polyommatus
> icarus) and Brown Argus (Aricia agestis) - do you have them over in
> Ireland yet?

Brown Argus we don't have. Common Blue ought to be out there ... and
probably is.

> >If the sun comes out I will go peruse the soggy gorse-filled bog next to
> >my house
>
> It's a tough life you lead out there :-)  You must get some pretty
> interesting stuff in the moth line - have you ever done any moth
> trapping - do you ID the things that come to your windows?

You mean between 11 pm and 3 am? Nope. I am, during those hours, wrapped
in the arms of Murphy, as the saying goes. And the spiders haven't saved
me anything interesting this year.
As for trapping, this is not an activity to be approached solo, unless
one has the eager hope of a 12-year-old. Happy to enjoy someone else's
trap.
> >for Green Hairstreak, Callophrys rubi,
>
> They are starting to go over here - they may even have gone :-( Along
> with Grizzled Skipper (Pyrgus malvae) and I think I saw the last Dingy
> Skipper (Erynnis tages) last weekend. :-(
Yes, the gorse was pretty dried out. I may have missed the boat on that.
Hickin shows them flying into July, though, so I'll keep trying. Bramble
is coming into bloom ... My Dingy Skipper must have been second brood.
I'm sure of the date and the id.

> >I have just received a note from David Nash, Ireland's Millennium Count
> >honcho, saying that my patch of Ireland is unexplored. Or anyway unrecorded.
>
> Great - get out there and chart new waters, so to speak! :-)
>
> >Holly Blue is also a possibility, I suppose, as we have both holly and
> >ivy. Celastrina argiolus.
>
> We have had plenty over here - it doesn't seem to be a 'boom' year for
> them but it certainly isn't a 'bust' year either. We are expecting a
> decline any year now - when the parasite kicks in the population will
> plummet.

The holly seems to be leafing out ... probably too late for that, too.
There are, however, plenty of midges.
regards
Anne Kilmer
Mayo